[jcifs] exception reading from socket

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Feb 2 17:58:34 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:35:06 +0100
Mark.Harwood at astrazeneca.com wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I am supporting a production system (Java running on Tomcat servlet engine)
> with around 1600 users that uses the JCIFS api for windows authentication.
> The system was put in place prior to my arrival a couple of years ago. The
> JCIFS HTTP authentication was setup using the servlet filter option.
> Recently, the client has converted over to using Windows Server 2003 domain
> controllers rather than what was NT4 domain controllers. This has broken the
> JCIFS authentication - there is one remaining NT4 box still able to service
> the application but this is being decommissioned next week. I have tried
> using LM2 instead by configuring web.xml appropriately, and have checked the
> JCIFS threads for answers. There are some others out there who have
> questioned the same problem but there were no definitive answers. Error in
> Tomcat logs is:
>
> Feb 2 09:44:53.675 - exception reading from socket input:
> 0.0.0.0<00>/172.19.176.22
> java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
> 	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
> 	at
> jcifs.netbios.SessionServicePacket.readPacketType(SessionServicePacket.java:
> 68)
> 	at jcifs.netbios.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:73)
> 	at jcifs.netbios.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:39)
> 	at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:66)
> 	at java.io.PushbackInputStream.read(PushbackInputStream.java:120)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.run(SmbTransport.java:341)
>
> You mentioned to one user back in 2004 that this was simply a harmless
> message that had been switched off in later versions. Do you have any
> suggestions given above description? Best regards,

This happends when the server closes the other end of the socket. That
is completely normal.

Perhaps you should just state what the problem is and leave the diagnosis
to us?

What exactly is wrong?

Does the filter not work?

What is your config exactly?

What version of jCIFS are you using?

Have you read the NTLM HTTP Authentication document in detail?