[jcifs] NTLM http client uses Sun NTLM coming with JVM 1.4.2_10 instead of jcifs

My Chi Doan thi-my-chi.doan at hp.com
Thu Feb 2 15:59:55 GMT 2006

Hi,

We have a ntlm http client (as example NtlmHttpClient.java), which
authenticates user against a web application using

Depending on which JVM the client is using, we get different behaviors:

1) When using "stand-alone" JVM (version 1.4.1_01), the ntlm
authentication works fine. It means the NT login is authenticated
correctly according to the above url.

The command looks like:
C:\myjre\bin\java -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=jcifs -cp
./jcifs-1.2.7.jar;. NtlmHttpClient <parameters..>

2) When using System JVM (version 1.4.2_10), regardless which login and
password is used in the url above, always the user, who is logged in on
the PC, is got authenticated. E.g. xxx works on PC of yyy and tries to
call the ntlm client with his own NT login and password. The
authenticaton is always perfomed for user yyy instead of xxx.
It looks like in this case the Sun's NTLM is used instead of jcifs.

The command looks like:
java -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=jcifs -cp ./jcifs-1.2.7.jar;.
NtlmHttpClient <parameters..>

Did anybody experience the same problem? I searched in this newsgroup,
but coulgn't find any posting related to that.

Is it possible to switch off the Sun NTLM and use jCIFS instead?

Any hint is highly appreciated.

Thanks, My Chi