Antwort: Re: [jcifs] SmbAuthException: Logon failure: user not allowed to log on to this computer. [Virus checked]

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Sep 22 15:55:33 GMT 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:01:31 +0200
T.Rademacher at inka-kag.de wrote:

> Hey,
>
> is it possible that the NetBIOS nameserver (the WINS Server?) doesn't
> resolve my workstation? And that this causes the JCIFS-Client not to use
> the name, but the IP-address? In other words: Does the JCIFS-client always
> tries to resolve the name by IP?

No, WINS doesn't do reverse lookups. It was my understanding that
the only thing MS servers check when trying to enforce the "only log
in from computer X" policy was the name provided during NetBIOS
session establishment. By default this is a partially random name
like JCIFS22_141_E4 because there could be many Java VM instances
running on the same machine and we were worried that giving each the
same name might cause a problem. This name can be changed by setting
the jcifs.netbios.hostname property. If that doesn't appear to be
working, make sure you know how to set client properties by reviewing
the documentation.