[jcifs] Re: Error connecting to server in SmbTransport

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Sep 21 16:26:32 GMT 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:21:37 -0300
Luis Fernando Pollo <lpollo at tlantic.com.br> wrote:

> Hello Michael,
>

> I'm terribly sorry for writing to you directly instead of using the
> newsgroup, but we don't have access here at the company, and I really wanted
> to try and solve this problem...

We don't have a newsgroup although our list is posted on gmane via
external forces. Post your questions to the JCIFS mailing list. You
can find a link to lists.samba.org a the bottom left of the links on
our homepage.

> I downloaded jCIFS 1.2.3 last Monday, and on my very first, simple test, got
> the following error:
>

> Exception in thread "main" jcifs.smb.SmbException:
>
> jcifs.util.transport.TransportException
>
> java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

> I tried some of your tips on the newsgroup for similar problems (like the
> use of the jcifs.smb.client.laddr property), but didn't get any results. I
> then added some printlns to the code to see what was going on, and this is
> what prints:

<snip>

> I read somewhere in the documentation that the port on the server should
> always be 139, but from what I saw in the code and in those printlns I could
> tell that's not always the case. Why is it trying ports 0 and 445?

Wherever port 0 is used it ends up using the default port. Add a println
just before the socket constructor.

> If you have any information that could help me figure out what's wrong, it'd
> be greatly appreciated.

Firewall? Whatever the case it's a lowlevel networking issue that can
be resolved after playing around with Ethereal for a little while.