[jcifs] Re: jcifs.http.domainController

Oliver Schoett os at sdm.de
Wed Sep 7 15:41:51 GMT 2005

Michael B Allen wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:55:30 +0200
>"Pollers, Roel [NCSBE - Non JJ]" <RPOLLERS at NCSBE.JNJ.COM> wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know if there is a possibility to configure static comain
>>controllers (with a backup) per domain ?
>>Now for example I have
>>
>>jcifs.smb.client.domain=DOMAIN
>>jcifs.http.domainController=xx.xx.xx.xx
>>
>>But I would like to specify a different domain controller for another domain
>>and also a backup domain controller for if one goes down ...
>>

>Just *don't* set jcifs.http.domainController and let the client find
>DCs using WINS. See the NTLM HTTP docs for details.

My client would like to avoid WINS, which seems reasonable given that
Windows clients from Windows 2000 onwards can locate their domain
controllers not via WINS, but via DNS (see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/b05eb382-d13a-4eb5-ac6e-01ebc1450dac.mspx).
I presume that jCIFS cannot (yet) do this; but the question remains
relevant how to best avoid WINS usage by jCIFS, and still have backup
domain controllers.

Regards,

Oliver Schoett