[jcifs] help - ntlmhttpfilter almost working!!

Smyth, Jim Jim.Smyth at broadvision.com
Wed Oct 19 11:39:08 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am trying to get jcifs working in an application server which sits behind an IIS server (there is a proxy plugin on IIS).  My only requirement is to get the logged in windows user's username in the app server (not IIS) so that I can automatically log the user in without them typing credentials.  I want to use jcifs to do this because of the features it offers above just the NTLM exchange.

However, I have been able to see (via ethereal and my debugger attached to the app server), that the NTLM negociation takes place up to the NTLMSSP_AUTH (type 3) request made by the browser.  After this request, there is no response.

Browser:  GET /cgi-bin/proxy/application
Server:   401, authenticate
Browser:  AUTH, NTLM type 1
Server:   401, auth type 2
Browser:  401, auth type 3

In the past 2 days, I have had 2 occasions where there was a response to the type 3 message, but usually the browser just stays waiting for a reply.  Because of this and because I have an attached debugger, I am pretty sure that the usual behaviour of not getting a reply is not due to jcifs, but I am hoping that someone has some input on this (I know), non-standard approach to using jcifs.

One other point - I am using jcifs-1.2.6.  Interestingly when I downloaded the src in the jcifs-1.2.6.zip for my debugger, it didnt always seem to match all line numbers in the jcifs-1.2.6.jar which I had placed on my app server, so I had to end up copying my compiled version of the code to the app server  - so it seems there is a mismatch of versions somewhere??

thanks for your time