[jcifs] Problem with jcifs.UniAddress.isValidDnsName(String)

Spierenburg, Peter peter.spierenburg at abridean.com
Fri Oct 7 16:57:54 GMT 2005

Greetings,

It turns out that my regex is wrong at about a hundred different levels
(check out RFC3696). For one thing, DNS names are not restricted to
alphanumerics and the hyphen. In fact the dot is permitted as part of a
label (properly escaped of course).

I'm wondering if the method actually serves any purpose except to be
broken. Its only reference is:

    if( isValidDnsName( hostname ) == false ) {
        throw new UnknownHostException( hostname );
    }
    addr = InetAddress.getByName( hostname );

Consider that InetAddress.getByName(hostname) throws the same
UnknownHostException as the 'if' statement, and is more effective at
detecting invalid hostnames than any method call or regex. Could the
method and call be removed entirely?

Peter.