[jcifs] Re: Re: Loadbalancing with NTLMServlet/Filter

Smyth, Jim Jim.Smyth at broadvision.com
Wed Nov 23 01:10:51 GMT 2005

Hi,

I experienced an issue with using jcifs on applications running across multiple app servers which I found reported some time ago (see below).  I believe the end solution may not be correct.  To recap (and fully explain) the issue, the 401 Authenticate response created by JCIFS filter tells the browser to resend the same request with NTLM credentials.  When a user first hits an application a session is automatically created for that user.  Normally all subsequent requests by that user will use a session identifier (via URL-rewriting or a cookie) to maintain the state of the application.  All quite simple so far.

An issue arises when an application is running on multiple processes rather than just multiple threads, because the 401 which makes the browser resend a request may end up at a different running process which will invalidate the NTLM negociation mechanism.  Running an application over a number of machines is one way in which this situation arises, but the big boys from weblogic and WAS also recognize that scaling appservers on threads only goes so far, such that multi-process appservers on single (big) boxes also exist.

Anyway, Im sure you know all that.  The point is that

a)  the session is implicitly created at the outset, therefore, calling req.getSession() as originally suggested will not have any effect
b)  to avoid this issue the servlet filter should start with something like the following so that negociate will never commence until we can be sure the authorization will be sent back to the correct appserver process:

			if (Config.getProperty("jcifs.util.multiProcess")!=null && Config.getProperty("jcifs.util.multiProcess").equals("true")) {  //check if defined as multi-process appserver
				//this code should only ever get executed once per user per session
				if (session.getAttribute("NTLMNegociationInitiated")==null) {
					session.setAttribute("NTLMNegociationInitiated","true");

					//should be a block of code here responsible for setting a cookie if cookie based session management is in use
					//but I havent bothered doing that yet
					//...

					//the following code will take care of urlrewriting if required
			 	       	PrintWriter out = null;
				        	out = resp.getWriter();
			        		out.println("<html>");
			        		out.println("<head>");
			        		out.println("<title>Resending request with Session id</title>");
			        		out.println("<META Http-Equiv=\"Cache-Control\" Content=\"no-cache\">");
			        		out.println("<META Http-Equiv=\"Pragma\" Content=\"no-cache\">");
			        		out.println("<META Http-Equiv=\"Expires\" Content=\"0\">");
			        		out.println("<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"0; URL=" + resp.encodeURL(req.getRequestURL().toString()) + "\">");
			        		out.println("</head>");
				    	out.println("</html>");
				    	return;
				} //end if
			} //end of check for multi-process appserver

Anyways - thats the way I would (will) do it.  Hope its of use/interest.

rgds
jim