[jcifs] Does jCIFS have CJK support?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Nov 9 22:19:54 GMT 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:02:03 -0800
Praveen Tammana <praveen.public at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does jCIFS have CJK support? Specifically, if I have a Windows 2003/XP/2000
> running, say, Japanese Windows and has resources such as shares, directories
> and files with Japanese names, can I access them properly?
>
> I didn't see any references to CJK in the documentation and I don't have a
> machine running any CJK Windows off hand or I would've just tried on it.

JCIFS converts the UCS-2LE on the wire to Java Strings. So provided this
is sufficient to represent CJK strings (I believe it is) then it should
work fine.

There is one exception. Share names that contain characters not
in the server's OEM characterset (e.g. non ISO-8859-1) cannot be
enumerated. Meaning (new SmbFile("smb://server/")).list() will not display
Unicode share names (or share names larger than 12 characters). This
is a limitation in the RAP protocol that we used to enumerate share
names. You can still connect to and access resources in those shares -
you just can't list them.