[jcifs] Re: MIDL compilers

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Nov 3 21:32:28 GMT 2005

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:39:46 -0500
Albert Cahalan <acahalan at sigovs.com> wrote:

> I went to http://jcifs.samba.org/src/ in search of a MIDL
> compiler for Linux. The documentation link goes to a
> news and announcements page instead of documentation.

That's the documentation for jCIFS. Midlc does not have documentation
or a webpage. There are several examples though.

> I hope you can tell me if this compiler is usable now.

Currently I think the only thing it supports well is a subset of MIDL
syntax with the Java emitter. The C emitter needs work.

> If not, perhaps you can suggest an alternative.

You could try Samba's PIDL or the OpenDCE compiler but I'm afraid you'll
have problems with both if you're looking for MIDL compatibility. Thus
mildc.

> I prefer:
>
> * accepts full Microsoft IDL syntax

Definitely not available and probably never will be. Midlc supports a
subset of MIDL syntax.

> * produces gcc-compatible C for Linux

Currently midlc's C emitter generates ANSI C (not verified).

> * supports ncacn_http

Midlc does not supply transports. You need implement that yourself
(e.g. Jarapac for Java, Samba for Linux, raw sockets, etc).

> Translating long to int32_t and wchar_t to uint16_t
> would be very helpful.

Midlc automatically converts [string] wchar_t *str to the string type
of the host environment (e.g. UTF-8 unsigned char * for C or String
for Java).