[jcifs] RE: [cifs-protocol] Printer Browsing Problem

Neil Goodenough ngoodenough at chs-ga.org
Tue Nov 1 14:57:06 GMT 2005

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:44:05AM -0500, Neil Goodenough wrote:
> >
> > I have Ethereal traces of both working and slow browsing.
> The difference I
> > can see between the two scenarios is:
> Hi Neil,
>
> can you put these somewhere to download?
>
> I didn't really get what you're problem is
> and looking at a trace would be very useful for understanding
>
> metze

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have put two Ethereal traces, fast and slow on
ftp.chf-ga.org - anonymous access allowed.

The only consistent differences I have been able to detect are:
Slow, Packets 31-32 then 39-40 show the enumprinters followed by the Invalid
Name response. This sequence is repeated for all 90 hosts across our wan
that have a shared printer.

Fast, Packets 69-70 Enumprinters followed by Insufficient Buffer response,
with what I guess is the minimum buffer size required.Packets 106-132 are
the repeated Enumprinters with responses, eventually listing details of the
actual printers.

In both cases, there was at least preceding NetServerEnum2 call to a BDC
that got a response list hosts that had shared printers. Fast 41-42, Slow
14-15.

The printers.pdf file shows the results of a working 'fast' scan. In the
Slow case, it is only the hosts that are displayed in the browse list,
without the two  rows of printer details at the top of the list.

As I said in the first post, the problem seems to have gone away after ten
days, but I would like to find out if it is symptomatic of another, maybe
routing, problem. The reason I suspect some sort of networking issue is that
it was first noticed after a central layer 3 switch was restarted, but I
just can't see how it is related.

Thanks
Neil
Notice:  The information contained in this email is legally privileged and
entity to whom it is addressed.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email message is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received and/or are viewing this email in error, please immediately
notify the sender by reply email, and delete this email from your system.
Thank you.