[jcifs] Re: Multiple values for domain controller address??

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed May 11 01:06:59 GMT 2005

John Withers said:

> Richard Caper <rcaper <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> There is, I believe... if you are specifying a WINS server the
>> preferred approach is to specify "jcifs.smb.client.domain" rather than
>> "jcifs.http.domainController".  The latter will be the IP of a single
>> domain controller (what you are doing now); using the former it will
>> find a domain controller for the specified domain using WINS.
>>
>> On 5/10/05, John Withers <john.withers <at> irs.gov> wrote:
>> > Greetings!
>> >
>> > We're in the process of implementing SSO using the NtlmHttpFilter.  It
>> works
>> > very well as long as we know the domain controller address.  However,
>> we are
>> > concerned that there is no 'fail over' mechanism for domain controller
>> like
>> > there is for the WINS server.  Why not?
>> >

> Thanks for the suggestion.  However that approach requires that a valid
> SMB
> name be configured too.  When I try that, I get complaints in the server
> log.
> Is there any particular down-side to making the domain controller address
> list in a future version?

No. The optimal method is to specify jcifs.smb.client.domain and
jcifs.netbios.wins. When retrieving the address of a domain controller in
that domain, WINS is queried for a list of hosts from which one will be
selected using a very simple "load balancing" algorithm. If the selected
host does not respond it will be removed from contention and another host
will be selected.

If this is not suitable then you should provide a detailed explaination
along with any associated errors you might be getting.