[jcifs] Authentication via SmbSession.logon

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Mar 22 19:25:22 GMT 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:07:47 +0000 (UTC)
Larry Weber <lawrenceaweber at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >From the FAQ page at http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/faq.html, I copied
> >the
> Logon.java example and happily got it to authenticate against my Windows
> 2000 Professional Workstation.
>
> Unfortunately when I run the same code against Windows XP SP2,
> authentication fails. What little tracking I have done in the jcifs code
> shows the the failure is at a test in line 300 of SmbSession, where it
> turns out I am logged in as guest, but my name isn't 'guest'. I'm assuming
> this is just where the error is thrown and the actual failure is prior,
> since when I'm running against the 2000 system at line 300 I am not logged
> in as guest.
>
> Any clues as to what might be going wrong? It seems like such a
> straightforward example.

If you attempt to authenticate against an authority that has no knowledge
of the supplied crednetials the operation will not be successful. In
some cases the server may accept your session but log you in as a guest.

Mike

PS: Please always post any exception that might be pertainent.

--
IRC - where men are men, women are men, and the boys are FBI agents.