[jcifs] Re: jCIFS DFS Roadmap

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Mar 18 20:25:02 GMT 2005

Please send all messages to the jcifs mailing list.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:04:44 -0700
"MacDermid, Kenny" <kenny.macdermid at abridean.com> wrote:

> Hello Michael,
>
> We're looking to use jCIFS to connect against a DFS, and have it create
> and delete folders. We also need to set permissions and owners on these
> folders using xFunction calls to win32 APIs. I was wondering if you could
> offer any suggestions, knowing the capabilities of jCIFS. So far I haven't
> managed to get jCIFS to connect to any DFS resources from outside the
> domain, so I'm really not sure how much is supported already.
>
> The options we are considering are attempting to:
>
> 1. Connect to domain DFS level \\domain\DFS to make changes. See if it's
> possible to find which server the actual change was made one, and use
> windows calls to permission it there.
>
> 2. Connect to machine level \\host\DFS shares to make the changes. Do you
> know if attempts to create files would always be made at the local host,
> and not be redirected? If they're always made locally then we can more
> easily permission them.
>
> 3. Connect to \\host\localShare that maps to the DFS, and make the changes
> there (this doesn't seem possible with the bug that currently exists)
>
> 4. Figure out how windows makes these connections, and do it using pure
> windows APIs.
>
> Can you offer any suggestions as to which of these options would currently
> be possible with jcifs, and the timeframe behind full DFS support.

If a path is not covered by the target host and a DFS referral can
be retrieved jCIFS should handle the request transparently without
error. If you know of an instance where this does not work as expected
please provide a capture [1].

There was an issue reported (by you?) where apparently if an error
occurs trying to retrieve a referral ("device not mapped" or something
like that) Windows will attempt to use the path with the original target
ignoring any knowledge of DFS. JCIFS does not do this. It simply returns
the error encountered during the referral. JCIFS should be modified to
support this behavior although it is not clear when or how that change
will be performed.

Otherwise JCIFS does not support any other DFS capabilities. It is not
possible to create DFS mappings, modify security descriptors, etc.

Mike

[1] http://jcifs.samba.org/capture.html

--
IRC - where men are men, women are men, and the boys are FBI agents.