[jcifs] how to enable login box prompt in IE

Richard Caper rcaper at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 12:36:56 GMT 2005

One way to have it just do basic is:

1. Change the line in NtlmHttpFilter.java that says:

boolean offerBasic = enableBasic && (insecureBasic || req.isSecure());

to be:

boolean offerBasic = true;

or you can set the enableBasic and insecurebasic jCIFS properties.

2.  Then remove these lines:

resp.setHeader( "WWW-Authenticate", "NTLM" );

Now all your clients will get prompted to login, but they will also
all do HTTP Basic authentication, which is not as secure as NTLM.