[jcifs] Re: Excluding Bogus Windows Domain Controllers

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Mar 16 19:31:08 GMT 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:56:08 +0000 (UTC)
Jimmy Ray <jimmyraywv at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Right. This is totally normal. What's the problem?
> >
> > The logic that tries to find a good DC is
> > SmbSesssion.getChallengeForDomain(). Try writing a little program for
> > that like perhaps:
> >
> >   for (i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
> >       NtlmChallenge chal = SmbSession.getChallengeForDomain();
> >       System.out.println( "DC: " + chal.dc );
> >       Thread.sleep( Math.random() * 10000 );
> >   }
>
> Well...these orginal issue was that the Tomcat app would error , with my
> original stack trace.  Maybe the issue is now fixed.  I am certainly not
> an expert with your code.  I will try to right a servlet that dose not use
> the filter, so that I may manually try the challenge to see if it works.
> I guess that I can do this, forcing the IP address to be the bad IP
> address to see how the time out works.

You don't have to write a servlet to test the getChallengeForDomain
code. And manually trying to get the challenge isn't going to prove
anything becuase you'll be totally bypassing the code of interest. If
you're not certain about how this works I strongly recommend removing
any non-standard properties (lookupRespLimit) and see what happends. Only
when you find that in fact there's a problem with 1.1.9 should you pursue
the problem further. Otherwise you're just guessing which isn't good.

IRC - where men are men, women are men, and the boys are FBI agents.