[jcifs] Failure to authenticate with Windows PDC

Beverly Hosein - Systems Administrator hoseinb at caribank.org
Wed Mar 16 13:50:31 GMT 2005

Good Afternoon,

I am new to this and urgently need your assistance in resolving the
following problem.

Here's the situation as it stands:
We have WebDav and SMB (3.0.11) services running on a Unix server which
also carries all the users home directories and data files and this
server is a member
of the Windows domain using the "net" command.  Samba validates the
username/password
supplied by a user on a PC desktop by passing it to the Windows PDC server
(Windows XP, service pack 2). The Samba configured options are:

workgroup = windowsnet
netbios = unix server
security=DOMAIN
passwd backend = smbpasswd
encrypted passwd = yes

When WebDav  is accessed through a browser, the workgroup entry
"windowsnet" appears in the page.
Once selected, the user is challenged for authentication.  My problem is
when the user enters the
domain\username and password, the authentication window is represented
almost immediately and
no authentication seems to take place.   Debugging has been activated in
order to determine the source
of the problem but we're unable to decipher the messages.  Please help.

PS: Can you advise as to how and where I can look for responses to this
request since this is my first time
using this facility.  Thanks in advance.

Regards...
B.