[jcifs] Re: Excluding Bogus Windows Domain Controllers

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Mar 16 01:26:58 GMT 2005

Jimmy Ray said:

>> Actually on my network DCs are usually returned in a different order.
>> You
>> should try it without lookupRespLimit just to make sure it works ok
>> with the bad DC. That way if you change your WINs config and it starts
>> returning things in a different order or another DC goes bad you'll know
>> how it behaves.
>>
>> Let us know what happends.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Ok...switched to 1.1.9 and tested, and now in the client-side java app I
> get
> a "FailureToNegotiate" exception after a few seconds.  So...if it does
> this in
> my web app, will it try another IP before giving up the ghost?

The "Failed to negotiate with a suitable DC" message means that none of
the DCs were good. Are you sure that was the exception? JCIFS will log a
"Failed validate DC" exception when one bad DC is encountered but that is
only a harmless warning. The filter should skip that one and try the next
one. All of this should be totally transparent to the client. THe client
should not "hang" for any noticeable amount of time or be rejected with an
error.