[jcifs] Absence of 'automagical' WINS server resolution in jcifs when compared to smb/nmb/winbind

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Jul 22 23:45:28 GMT 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:46:44 -0400
"John Utz" <jutz at centeris.com> wrote:

>  jcifs.netbios.wins
>
> and
>
>  jcifs.smb.client.domainController.
>

> I run smb/nmb/winbind on the same computer. I do not need to provide this information to these tools, they appear to discern these facts automagically.
>
> Is there some way that i can configure jcifs to behave more like samba in this respect?

Other than having a samba.org domain name JCIFS and Samba are
totally unrelated and do not interoperate at all outside of the CIFS
protocol. JCIFS runs on any machine that supports Sun's Java which is not
limited to OS's that run Samba so any kind of searching through Samba's
configs has no place in the standard JCIFS package. This is by design
and there are no plans to change this in the future.