[jcifs] Static CIFS properties

Neil Clayton neil at cloudnine.net.nz
Sat Jul 16 11:36:52 GMT 2005

Firstly, thank you to all that have contributed to the JCIFS API - I've found it
nice to work with so far.

Configureation wise: are there plans to change the Config classes (or those that
depend upon Config) - so that properties do not have been set before the JCIFS
classes are loaded?

I can think of at least two reasons why this would be beneficial:

1) It would enable a program to address multiple servers; where multiple WINS
servers are required (I'm using the WINS property as an example, since this
cannot be set in the SmbFile URL).   It is possible that this example is not
valid (that multiple WINS servers would never be a situation that occurs), but
I'm not a CIFS expert.

2) It would mean that a user would be able to change parameters half way through
a program (for example; connect to an alternate share point on another domain).
 At present; I understand that if I change domain AFTER using the CIFS
libraries, I'd need to restart the VM for those changes to take effect (statics,
etc etc).

If the CIFS lib actually referenced the Config variables every time they were
required; this would get around (2) - but the docs state that some of the
classes grab config items from the Config class and cache them.

Can anyone comment on this?

Regards,
Neil Clayton