FW: [jcifs] Ntlm authentication prompts 2nd user - Win 2003

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon Jul 11 19:07:48 GMT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:58:57 -0500
"AARON WILT" <AARONWILT at afninet.com> wrote:

> Michael-
>
> Sorry I sent this directly to your email address, but I got a message back from the jcifs listserv saying my attachments were too big to be posted.

That's ok. You should never send captures to a public mailing list anyway.

<snip>
> It appears that when I change nothing except the jcifs-1.2.1 jar to the jcifs-1.1.11.jar, things seem to work better for the most part.  The NtlmHttpAuthExample giving me a success message.  I had a colleague of mine attempt to access this servlet intermittently as I was also accessing it.  It seemed if I would access the page, then he would try to "submit query" that's when the next person to access the page would bomb with an Unverifiable signature SmbException such as showed up in the server log:
>
> 2005-07-08 14:59:52 StandardWrapperValve[ntauth]: Servlet.service() for servlet ntauth threw exception
> jcifs.smb.SmbException: Unverifiable signature: 0.0.0.0<00>/10.250.254.164
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:674)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:271)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:228)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:134)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.logon(SmbSession.java:159)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.logon(SmbSession.java:152)
> 	at jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.doFilter(NtlmHttpFilter.java:155)
>
> Attached is a printout of my server console as well as the packet capture throughout our attempts at accessing the servlet.
>
> Any ideas?

Funny, I see Access Denied in the packet captures. If unverifiable signature errors were occurring that would suggest the session setup was actually succcessfull but jCIFS couldn't verify the signature.

First, I see you're running IIS on the same machine/port. I can see GET / generating Access Denied messages so I think you might have NTLM HTTP Authentication enabled with it as well. That could cause problems. Why don't you just use IIS's builtin auth?

Also, it looks like the machine acting as the web server is actually quite busy with other things. I see DFS referrals, outgoing NTLM HTTP requests, and other stuff. This can complicate things.

But ultimately I see non-primary attempts to establish a session after the initial one is causing Access Denied replys. This would suggest that the DC did not like the signature from jCIFS. That could be a bug but it is odd that everyone else does not have this problem.

Unfortunately the use of Tomcat with modjk and IIS on a busy machine creates too many variables for me to look at this further. If you have the same problem on a fresh Linux install with vanilla options then re-post your issue.

Mike