[jcifs] SSO problem

Tony Sze, CLSA tony.sze at clsa.com
Tue Jan 11 01:42:26 GMT 2005

We have successfully used jcifs-ext 0.9.4 in our J2EE application server for
SSO with Kerberos (Windows 2000 Active Directory), but the caveat is, we
didn't know how to use it with keytab so we ended up putting the password of
the SPN in domain.xml in plain text. Also, we don't know how to configure a
failover domain controller. Otherwise, it works.

There was also a bug in J2EE 1.4 SDK which stop it from working, but has a
patch.

The web.xml I used has the following lines:

    <filter>
      <filter-name>AuthenticationFilter</filter-name>
      <filter-class>jcifs.http.AuthenticationFilter</filter-class>
      <init-param>
        <param-name>jcifs.http.enableNegotiate</param-name>
        <param-value>true</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <init-param>
        <param-name>jcifs.spnego.servicePrincipal</param-name>

<param-value>HTTP/server.int.company.com at INT.COMPANY.COM</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <init-param>
        <param-name>jcifs.spnego.servicePassword</param-name>
        <param-value>xxx</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <init-param>
        <param-name>java.security.krb5.realm</param-name>
        <param-value>INT.COMPANY.COM</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <init-param>
        <param-name>java.security.krb5.kdc</param-name>
        <param-value>domain_controller.int.company.com</param-value>
      </init-param>
    </filter>
    <filter-mapping>
      <filter-name>AuthenticationFilter</filter-name>
      <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>