[jcifs] Davenport Issue Report

Peter Walter pwalter at itlsys.com
Sat Jan 1 00:51:05 GMT 2005

Hello,

Please be patient with me. I am a Linux / Java / Samba newbie.

Server configuration: SME Server 6.01-01 (based on RHL 7.3) in
firewalled-server mode (external / internal network cards) with Java VM
(j2re-1-4_2_06-linux-i586.rpm) and Samba  2.2.8a-2cb.

I downloaded davenport-0.9.10-1.noarch.rpm and installed it
successfully, configured web.xml, and started the program successfully
from a root shell. I configured the firewall to open TCP port 8080. The
program operates as advertised, with a few questions/ problems. The
non-default param-value settings I modified (in
/opt/davenport/webapps/root/WEB-INF/web.xml) are:
    jcifs.smb.client.domain - to my SMB domain name
    jcifs.http.domainController - I used the internal, non-routable
server address
    jcifs.netbios.wins - I used the internal, non-routable server address
    jcifs.http.basicRealm - I used "Davenport"
    jcifs.netbios.lmhosts - I used /etc/samba/lmhosts
    jcifs.smb.client.laddr - I used the internal, non-routable server
address
    jcifs.netbios.laddr - I used the internal, non-routable server address

(by "modified", I mean, assigned the values, and removed the <!-- and
--> comment lines).

Questions / Problems /  comments:

1) The default web.xml file contained duplicate entries for the
following parameters:
jcifs.smb.client.domain
jcifs.smb.client.username
jcifs.smd.client.password
jcifs.http.domain.Controller
jcifs.netbios.wins
I removed the duplicates.

2) I cannot seem to figure out how to turn on / force https access. I
can only access the interface from
http://www.mydomain.com:8080/servername (externally and internally) or
http://servername:8080/servername (internally). Trying
https://www.mydomain.com:8080/servername results in a dialog box which
says "The connection to www.mydomain.com:8080 has terminated
unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred"

3) When prompted for authentication, in Mozilla, the "realm" does not
display, displays "" (empty).
In IE 6.0,  it says "Connecting to www.mydomain.com" (externally);
internally, it does not prompt for authentication (I assume it is using
my logon credentials already).

4) "Last modified on" is empty for the smb root, the root of each
domain, the root of each server, and the root of each share - is this
the expected behavior?

5) hidden shares (such as IPC$ and print$) show up at the root of each
server, even if the logged-in user does not have access. is this the
expected behavior? if so, how can the display be suppressed?

6) When start.jar is started, the console lists the following message:
"18:39:59.864 EVENT  NOTICE: AJP13 is not a secure protocol. Please
protect the port 0.0.0.0:8009". Is this anything to be concerned about?

Sincerely,
Peter Walter
pwalter at itlsys.com