[jcifs] NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL Exception under heavy load

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Aug 18 17:31:02 GMT 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:31:29 +0000 (UTC)
Andreas Knoor <knoor at e-spirit.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when using JCIFS 1.2.1 in a multithreading environment under heavy load
> I get a SmbException with status code "NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL":
>
> jcifs.smb.SmbException: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:479)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:556)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:233)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:95)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:688)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.queryPath(SmbFile.java:1195)
> 	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1249)
>
> What could be the reason for this exception?
> If the exception is OK: How should it be handled?
> Should i try to repeat the last operation?

This exception is coming from the server and probably has nothing to do
with jCIFS. It's not uncommon to encounter servers that are in a bad
state. I suspect if you retry the operation you'll just get the same
error as would any client. Identify the exact resource being queried
when the exception is thrown and then try to access it immediately with
a regular Windows client. If you get an error there too it might be time
to reboot the server.