[jcifs] Re: 3ed packet capture, from domain, new dfs root

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Aug 17 18:17:52 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 01:55:03PM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:44:00 -0500
> "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > There is a Capabilities bit that indicates DFS capabilities:
> > CAP_DFS == 0x00001000
> >
> > A smart client might see that bit and just ask for referrals.
>
> Don't you mean "dumb client"? Then we would always see clients trying
> to aks for referrals and we don't.

As usual, I haven't had enough time to follow the thread.  You were asking
why the client would guess that the path was a DFS path and that
capabilities bit was all I could come up with.  If that's not enough
(which also makes sense) then there must be some other clue that the
client is using.

I've got a test setup that I might be able to configure to run the tests.
What kind of clients exhibit this behavior?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org