[jcifs] negotiation error

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Aug 13 02:44:26 GMT 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:51:07 +0000 (UTC)
Alvin <apotti at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I updated to the latest version of JCIFS and I keep getting this error
> intermittently (95% I have no problems):
>
> java.net.UnknownHostException: Failed to negotiate with a suitable domain
> controller for ***

You probably have a bad domain controller in the list returned
by WINS. Either find out which one it is and fix it or use the
jcifs.http.domainController property to specify a specific one that's
known to behave.

Or it's possible that the app or the network or the DC is slow and
things are timing out in which case your going to have to dig to find
out where the problem is. Try cranking up the loglevel and try some
of the examples like ListAllDC.java to see how quickly things respond,
how many DCs there are, etc.