[jcifs] "Invalid operation for IPC Service" - while trying to list files

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Aug 5 06:31:18 GMT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 23:24:23 -0700
Praveen Tammana <a10pkt8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using jcifs-1.2.1.jar straight from the tgz file I downloaded - I
> didn't even build it from the source. The server is a regular desktop
> running WinXP Professional - client is a Redhat Linux machine. My
> test.properties is quite simple:
>
> ----------------
> jcifs.smb.client.password=xxxxx
> jcifs.smb.client.username=yyyyy
> jcifs.smb.client.domain=zzzzzzz
> jcifs.util.loglevel=10
> ;jcifs.smb.client.useNTSmbs=false
> -----------------

Well if you are certain that the following:

java -Djcifs.properties=test.properties ListFiles "smb://filer/home/praveen/"

where test.properties is the above properties file and 'home' is a share
on an XP pro workstation named 'filer' and you are getting an "Invalid
operation for IPC$" error then there is a bug in jCIFS and it would be
delightful if you could send me a capture [1].

But do you think it is odd that no one has reported this error before? Please
double check your results again.

> useNTSmbs doesn't make any diff. I was just trying it out because I saw
> found references to it in list archives.

The jcifs.smb.client.useNTSmbs property is ignored and should be removed from
the documentation.

Mike

[1] http://jcifs.samba.org/capture.html