[jcifs] "Invalid operation for IPC Service" - while trying to list files

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Aug 5 04:33:37 GMT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 19:40:51 -0700
Praveen Tammana <praveen.public at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting this error when I tried to list files on an smbserver
> using the example file ListFiles.java
>
> java -Djcifs.properties=test.properties ListFiles "smb://filer/home/praveen/"

This SMB URL should never generate such an error. Pls post your
test.properties file.

> Exception in thread "main" jcifs.smb.SmbException: Invalid operation
> for IPC service

This error occurs when you try to list the IPC$ share like:

java -Djcifs.properties=test.properties ListFiles "smb://filer/IPC$/"

which is of course invalid. One thing that you might not realize is
that listing each node returned by listing "smb://filer/" will attempt
to list IPC$ and printers which is again invalid.

Also, what version of JCIFS are you using and what is the server
(e.g. Windows2000)?