[jcifs] vmWare problem

Michael Kerley michael at enkoo.com
Fri Apr 29 06:22:48 GMT 2005

Volodymyr,

Try disabling the VMware virtual network adapters on the target computer.

I've seen cases where machines running VMware would basically break jCIFS'
ablity to list domains and computers in the network.  Maybe the same problem
is stopping you from listing files/shares on this computer.  When I did some
Ethereal packet captures, I found that the computer running VMware was
returning an invalid IP of 169.x.x.x (which is a flag indicating DHCP
failure) in response to name resolution requests coming from jCIFS.  The 169
address was actually coming from VMware's virtual network adapters.  Once I
turned those off, everything worked fine.  There didn't seem to be any
negative effect on the computer or the VMware virtual machine either (but I
can't guarantee that you'll have the same results...)

Just as a side note, I've found that computers with multiple physical
network adapters can cause this same problem if one of the extra adapters is
connected to a different subnet (which is not reachable from the jCIFS
computer's subnet).

Hope that helps,
Michael Kerley