[jcifs] Receiving Error - jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException

Jerry Jalenak Jerry.Jalenak at LABONE.com
Tue Sep 28 14:02:18 GMT 2004

I'm stumped on this one, so I'm hoping one of the developers might be able
to help me out....

I've written a desktop application that uses jCIFS to connect to a VMS
system to retreive a file.  The connection code looks like this :

	private static final String smbUser = "???;????????";		//
hidden for the obvious reasons...
	private static final String smbPassword = "????????";		//
... ditto ...

	SmbFile smbFile = new SmbFile("smb://" + smbUser + ":" + smbPassword
+ "@xmit/lowes_ar/test.data");
	BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(
		new InputStreamReader(
			new SmbFileInputStream(smbFile)));

The smbUser and smbPassword reflect a valid windows domain user id /
password.  When I try to run this application from my W2K desktop (actually
within Eclipse), I throw a

	jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: The specified network password is not
correct.
	jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: The specified network password is not
correct.
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:654)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:178)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:138)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:133)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:688)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:662)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open0(SmbFile.java:712)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open(SmbFile.java:739)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.<init>(SmbFileInputStream.java:69)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.<init>(SmbFileInputStream.java:63)
	at Handler.run(Handler.java:105)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

However, if I change the smbUser and smbPassword to my Windows user Id /
password, everything works OK, and I can retreive the file without any
problems.  I've had our Windows SysAdmins verify that there is nothing
different between my user Id / password and the applications user Id /
password.  I suspect that it has something to do with NT authorization since
I can't even do a 'net use' command from a DOS prompt (using the application
user Id / password) and access the VMS share.

I'm currently using jcifs-0.9-0p7.

Any help or pointers that would help me resolve this would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Jerry Jalenak
Development Manager, Web Publishing
LabOne, Inc.
10101 Renner Blvd.
Lenexa, KS  66219
(913) 577-1496

jerry.jalenak at labone.com

This transmission (and any information attached to it) may be confidential and
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the transmission to the intended recipient, be advised that you
have received this transmission in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify
LabOne at the following email address: securityincidentreporting at labone.com