[jcifs] NTLM authentication not working with win2003 Domain controller

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Oct 21 18:14:20 GMT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:46:19 +0200
"Pollers, Roel [NCSBE - Non JJ]" <RPOLLERS at NCSBE.JNJ.COM> wrote:

> I found out something;
>
> Seems that the problem lies in the windows 2003 DC setup - If i test
> exactly the same setup pointing to a win2000 DC, it works ...
> Is Jcifs going to address this issue or is there a setting in the DC that
> I can change in order for this to work ?

I think the 2K3 DC you're using is blocking authentication against
IPC$ but permitting GUEST which is a little strange from a logical
standpoint. I suspect it's a non-standard config as I believe there
are a lot of people using the filter against 2K3 DCs. There are some
workarounds that jcifs can do (e.g. jcifs.smb.client.logonShare) but
you might ask your domain admin about it as it could be a mistake. He
might have goofed editing the permissions on IPC$ or something.