[jcifs] NTLM Authentication and Workgroup

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Oct 15 17:44:38 GMT 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:02:02 -0400
Manju_Panjwani at DadeBehring.com wrote:

> Hello
> I am facing a strange problem.
> I have successfully installed and deployed my web application on my
> computer (belonging to a domain) . The NTLM authentication works as
> expected.
> But when I deploy the same web application on a computer not associated
> with any domain , the NTLM authentication doesn't work.

The HTTP server's relationship to the target Windows domain is irrelivant.

> Browser : IE 5.x
> Jar file : jcifs-1.1.0.jar - jar file is present in <webapp>/WEB-INF/lib
> App Server : Tomcat 5.0.27
> On entering the url, IE pops up with a username /password dialog box. On
> entering a valid login id /password, NTLM authentication complains -
> Invalid User or Password.

For transparent authentication the client workstation must be a member of
the domain that the jcifs.http.domainController machine is an authority
for or has a trust relationship with the DC that is an authority for the
target domain. However, if there is no such relationship (e.g. someone
just plugs in their laptop without joining any domain) I should still work
but the password dialog will pop up into which the user must enter valid
credentials for the domain that the jcifs.http.doma ... (repeat of above).

Sounds like you have old fashioned logon failure.

Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.