[jcifs] jcifs and wfw

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Nov 13 18:32:37 GMT 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 10:12:46PM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:08:48 -0800
> "Purple Donuts" <purpledonuts at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to use jcifs connect to a WFW 3.11 server, and get the message
> > "jcifs.smb.SmbException: This client does not support the negotiated
> > dialect."
> >
> > >From what I understand, this is because jcifs only supports the NT LM
> > >0.12
> > dialect, which a WFW machine can't understand.
> >
> > Am I correct to assume that it is not possible to use jcifs with a WFW
> > 3.11 server?
>
> Correct.

Just to be a little less terse...

Every Windows flavor since Windows/95 (inclusive) speaks the NT LM 0.12
dialect.  Windows-for-Workgroups runs an earlier dialect (I have it
written down somewhere, but it's one of the LANMAN dialects...).  That
earlier dialect does not support some of the newer SMB messages, and some
of the message formats have changed.

> >  Or has anyone done something with either the client or the server
> > to get it working?
>
> No.

Multi-dialect support would require a mechanism to select which SMBs
should be sent, and which format to use for each SMB.  It's do-able, but
it doesn't appear as though the payback would be worth the effort or extra
code-bulk.  As far as I know, this is the first request for WfWG
interoperability.

Perhaps some of this should be in the FAQ...  Dunno.

How are you trying to use jCIFS?  Are you just trying to transfer files
and such?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org