[jcifs] "account currently disabled" and "Access denied"

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Nov 9 06:48:44 GMT 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:57:11 -0500
Andrew Miller <pulazzo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just upgraded to 1.1.2 and am getting the following error:
>
> jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Logon failure: account currently disabled.

Well this error is being returned by the server so I think you have to
assume that the username submitted to the server is indeed disabled. Take a
packet capture [1] and see what the username is in the Session Setup AndX
request.

> I upgraded because I was previously using version 0.7.19 and
> occassionally, about 1 in every 50 requests (on average), I would
> receive the following error:
>
> jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Access denied
>
> This would be after many succesful login attempts and is followed by
> many more successful login attempts.

So you're using the NTLM HTTP Authentication Filter? Not too long ago we had
an issue where an authentication or two would fail when the
jcifs.netbios.cachePolicy expired. That could be a potential reason. I think
you really want to use 1.1.2 for a variety of other reasons anyway.

You really want to get a packet capture. Install tcpdump on the web server,
stop the container, start the capture, generate the error, stop the capture,
and look at it with Ethereal on a workstation.

Mike

[1] http://jcifs.samba.org/capture.html

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.