[jcifs] Problem with hidden $ shares

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Nov 4 20:38:50 GMT 2004

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:54:10 +0100
"Big Biff" <bigbiff at chunkyfilms.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I'm trying to access a share: smb://user:pwd@server/home/dir$.

dir$ is not a share, it's a directory. home is the share.

> That works
> fine but .getName() seems to return "".

That is probably because the above is an invalid SMB URL for a directory.
Directories must end with a '/'.

> Anyways, I can browse the
> directories underneath and everything looks good, but when I try to write
> something it throws an error saying that it coul'nt write to the dir.

How do you know an error occured? Was there an exception? If so, what is the
text of the exception and what was the SMB URL that generated the exception.

> Are there any known problems with hidden(i.e. $) directories.

No. Also, files and directories are hidden if the ATTR_HIDDEN attribute is
set. I don't think the trailing '$' has any impact on anything.

Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.