[jcifs] Re: SmbFile(

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat May 29 20:19:05 GMT 2004

David Emo. said:
> Christopher R. Hertel <crh <at> ubiqx.mn.org> writes:
>

>> On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 04:54:55PM +0000, David Emo. wrote:
>> > Hi, first i'd like to thank for your great job. It's really powerfull
>> and
>> > usefull.
>> > I have some problem with the line :
>
> Thanks, for your answer.
> I read the FAQ but i don't see where is my problem. I do the netstat test
> check that i have well a netbios server on. I don't really see what is the
> problem.

Mmm, you're right. It's not in the FAQ. I guess I was thinking of the
general name resolution stuff.

Basically you do not appear to have a machine on your local network acting
as a "master browser". See Chris' post as he is the netbios expert but I
would need a packet capture [1] to confirm the behavior. Also maybe look
at the jcifs.netbios.baddr property on the Overview page of the API
documentation.

> For the third question i made mistake, you should read :
> SmbFile smbf = new SmbFile("smb://computer1/Projets Annexes/");
> smbf.list();
> I have no mangled directory name in the directory. I can see it with all
> my
> machines.

Again, Chris' post is right-on for this. Another limitation of the
NetShareEnum RAP function is that you can only have 12 characters in the
share name. You have 15. JCIFS will need to support RPCs before it can
read more than 12 characters, Unicode characters, or enumerate more than
~200 shares.

Mike

[1] http://jcifs.samba.org/capture.html