[jcifs] Re: jCIFS NtlmHttpFilter

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue May 25 18:30:29 GMT 2004

Paul Gutenbrunner said:
>> We have a maximum of about 4000 users that use the intranet (though it
>> would
>> be unlikely that they'd all use it at the same time). Has anybody had
>> experience with using the NtlmHttpFilter with a site of this size (or
>> larger)? Are there any issues that we need to be aware of, or any
>> particular
>> settings that need to be configured?
>
> we have an intranet with about 10.000 users (200 concurrent within a 5
> minute
> session). after the ssnLimit feature was built in, the only thing to watch
> is,
> that authentication takes place with a domain controller near the
> app-server.

Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

Note that in 0.9 the ssnLimit property behavior has changed. The docs
haven't been updated yet but theirs a description of it in the latest news
bullet on the website.

Also added in 0.9 is multiple jcifs.netbios.wins entries. Stronly
recommended as those things have been known to go down (I wonder if it
would be better to just use jcifs.smb.client.domainController with a DNS
name though).

So between jcifs.smb.client.ssnLimit to limit multiplexing of sessions of
one socket, jcifs.netbios.lookupRespLimit to limit domain controllers used
by list returned from WINS, jcifs.netbios.cachePolicy to control rotation
of domain controllers, and jcifs.netbios.wins to provide redundant wins
servers there is a lot of tweeking one can do to get the Filter to scale
to your needs.