[jcifs] enumerating domains with Wins server

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu May 20 21:09:23 GMT 2004

Gary,

So... I'm working on writhing up NetServerEnum3 and I'm noticing the
following oddities:

- In the trace you sent, the last entry in the NetServerEnum2 (that's '2')
  response is "HXXXX".  (Well, it's not exactly that, but I'm fudging for
  public posting.)

  You (correctly--I mean what else could you do) pass that back to the
  server in the first NetServerEnum3 (that's '3') request.  The odd thing
  is that the server returns "HXXXX" as the *first* entry in the reply.

  That's wierd, since the client now has "HXXXX" twice.  Is that what you
  see when a Windows box is the client?  The client code will have to make
  sure that the entry doesn't get displayed twice.  Just assuming that the
  first entry in the second list is a duplicate won't work, since some
  servers *might* start the NetServerEnum3 with the entry following
  "HXXXX" (which is what I would expect).

- In your message describing this (back in March) you said that the string
  field containing the last returned entry replaces the serverType field.
  I'm still seeing the serverType in the trace.  Am I missing something
  or was that just early analysis?  I ask because, as I understand it, the
  trace I'm seeing was generated using your modified jCIFS as the client
  and I want to make sure I understand what Windows is doing.

Also, in your message you said that the NetServerEnum3 response was
diminished with respect to the '2' response.  I'm not seeing it.  How does
the message change?  It looks different in Ethereal but when I did down I
think that's simply Ethereal not handling the packet correctly.

Interested in anyone's feedback on these.  It's fun tracking down a new
call.  :)

Thanks, Gary!  This is interesting stuff!

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org