[jcifs] Unverifiable Signature when using SmbFileInputStream in Win2k3

Michael Kerley michael at enkoo.com
Wed Mar 31 01:28:57 GMT 2004

I found another case where "Unverifiable signature" appears in the Win2k3
environment.  If I use SmbFileInputStream to copy a file, I end up with an
SmbException of type "Unverifiable signature".  The strange thing is that
with jCIFS 0.7.19, I get the exception in the middle of the file transfer,
while in jCIFS 0.8.2 I get it before the transfer can begin.

Here's some sample output (generated by the jCIFS Get.java example program,
modified to show byte counts instead of # markers):

[root at enkoobox examples]# export
CLASSPATH=.:/root/jcifs_0.7.19/jcifs-0.7.19.jar

[root at enkoobox examples]# java Get
smb://mike:michael@win2k3/myshare/CoreObjX20.dll
8192 bytes
16384 bytes
24576 bytes
32768 bytes
638976 bytes
647168 bytes
655360 bytes
Exception in thread "main" jcifs.smb.SmbException: Unverifiable signature.
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:676)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:107)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:93)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:532)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.read(SmbFileInputStream.java:140)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.read(SmbFileInputStream.java:105)
        at Get.main(Get.java:18)

[root at enkoobox examples]# export
CLASSPATH=.:/root/jcifs_0.8.2/jcifs-0.8.2.jar

[root at enkoobox examples]# java Get
smb://mike:michael@win2k3/myshare/CoreObjX20.dll
Exception in thread "main" jcifs.smb.SmbException: Unverifiable signature.
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:740)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:109)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:100)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:619)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open0(SmbFile.java:709)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open(SmbFile.java:726)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.<init>(SmbFileInputStream.java:69)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.<init>(SmbFileInputStream.java:63)
        at Get.main(Get.java:10)

I can provide packet captures if necessary.

Thanks,
Michael