[jcifs] Dealing with simultaneous users in a Win2k3 environment (Ethereal packet capture)

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Mar 20 02:51:08 GMT 2004

Michael Kerley said:
> Chris,
> Here's the packet capture you asked for, along with a few extras:
>
> Windows2003.pcap - packet capture in Ethereal/libpcap format

Actually this is not a signing problem. Not really anyway. The server is
returning ERRaccountExpired as one would expect for the GUEST account
(jCIFS normally fails over from GUEST into "null" credentials which works
with most LMBs). The problem is, jCIFS is choking on the signature before
it has a chance to look at the error code. The main problem with this is
that the signature is not supposed to be included until *after* the client
has successfully authenticated.

I'll look at this (and the many other issues that have surfaced recently)
in comeing days.

It would help a little if someone could produce a packet capture of the
*correct* behavior so I know exactly what jCIFS *should* be doing (e.g. XP
talking to Win2K3).

Mike