[jcifs] Re: Loadbalancing with NTLMServlet/Filter

Eric eglass1 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 01:08:50 GMT 2004

He's load balancing the servlet containers (application servers); he's
got a single web server with multiple WebSphere containers on the back
end.  The connector on the web server uses the session ID to determine
which application server the request gets routed to.  We don't currently
create a session until the NTLM handshake has completed (when we store
the username etc. in the session).  So what he's seeing is server A
generates the challenge and sends the Type 2 message, but server B ends
up getting the Type 3 message (the HTTP keepalive is between the client
and the web server, but not between the web server and a particular
application server).

Creating the session at the outset would prevent this (and is probably
an appropriate measure).

Eric