[jcifs] exception constructing SmbFileInputStream

Jeff Brown brown_j at ociweb.com
Wed Mar 17 15:07:39 GMT 2004

I am trying to get started with JCIFS and I am having trouble.

When I construct a SmbFileInputStream, an exception is thrown.  This
code is running in Tomcat 5 which is installed as a Windows Service on a
Windows XP machine (I get same problem on Win 2000 machine).  I am
working with JCIFS 0.8.1.

I have not setup any special jcifs related system properties, all
defaults are in place.

Code looks like this...

// url contents changed here for the mailing list, but this is the
format I am using...
String url =
"smb://username:password@ourmachinename/sharename/directoryname/filename.ext";
SmbFile smbFile = new SmbFile(url);

// exists() returns true
boolean foundFile = smbFile.exists();
logger.info("found file?: " + foundFile);

// constructing input stream throws exception
new SmbFileInputStream(smbFile);

Output...

INFO: found file?: true
Mar 17 08:49:10.417 - exception reading from socket input:
ourmachinename<20>/<dotted ip address here>
java.io.IOException: no andx command supplied with response
    at
jcifs.smb.AndXServerMessageBlock.readAndXWireFormat(AndXServerMessageBlock.java:274)
    at
jcifs.smb.AndXServerMessageBlock.readWireFormat(AndXServerMessageBlock.java:94)
    at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.run(SmbTransport.java:426)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
jcifs.smb.SmbException: Timeout waiting for response from server.
ourmachinename<20>/<dotted ip address here>
    at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:735)
    at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:109)
    at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:100)
    at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:619)
    at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open0(SmbFile.java:709)
    at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open(SmbFile.java:726)
    at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.<init>(SmbFileInputStream.java:69)
    at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.<init>(SmbFileInputStream.java:63)

If I can provide any more details that may help, please advise.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

--
Autism Strikes 1 in 250