[jcifs] Issue with connect timeout.

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Mar 10 00:48:46 GMT 2004

O'Rourke, James said:
> Let's say we have the following scenario.
>
> A client using the SmbSession.logon() is iterating through a list of
> domain
> controllers, where at least one is down. We see a lengthy (and
> unconfigurable) timeout exist on the initial ensureOpen() call in
> SmbTransport.java. Do you think this can be ammended?

If the IP is routable but no one is listening the lack of a response to
the initial SYN packet takes about 1min 15sec to timeout.

To get around this we would need to employ yet another thread to open the
domain controller socket but it would be just as easy for the caller to
use a separate thread to call SmbSession.logon().

If you're using the filter you might try setting jcifs.netbios.cachePolicy
really low (i.e. less than 1min 15sec) to expire the errant name and cycle
through domain controllers more quickly. Not sure if that would work as
expected though. You'd have to test that.