[jcifs] timezone problems

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Mar 9 19:36:43 GMT 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 07:54:09PM +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
:
> >If the [file] time[stamp] being reported via SMB is based on the
> >*server's* local time [that is, if the SMB message contains the SMB_TIME
> >and SMB_DATE as listed in FAT], then the client must convert the time [for
> >display purposes] to the *client's* local time.
>
> No, it doesn't have to.

Well, okay, I'm not being clear here.  I'm just trying to paint a picture
of the situation that would show this.

> The SMB library itself is first of all required
> to report the correct UTC-based timestamp (this is what the Java API is
> about).

To be comaptible with java.io.File we have to convert the SMB_TIME and
SMB_DATE values to Java UTC.

> Of course a client running on top of that can use the client's local
> timezone settings to display the normalized UTC timestamp, but this is a
> transformation that should occur *on top* of SmbFile.getLastModified().

Right, but that's the model I was working with.  :)

> >Since the file timestamps are stored in server local time (in FAT) I
> >assume that they are also reported that way via SMB.  To convert those
> >into UTC you also need to know the difference between server time and UTC.
>
> I'm no SMB expert, and I have trouble following this description. If the
> SMB protocol provides an UTC-based timestamp, and JCifs is supposed to
> return UTC-based timestamps, why do we need a translation at this level?

At session startup the server returns a timestamp in bozoseconds
(10^-7) since Jan. 1 1601.  The client uses this to figure out the offset
between the server's time and its own time.

The problem is that the FAT filesystem stores timestamps in local time,
and SMB reports those times when reporting file timestamps.  The file
timestamps do not contain Daylight Savings information, just the raw local
time.  That's a royal pain, since the client has to figure out the
Daylight Savings information of the server in order to convert the file
timestamp information to UTC.

The same packet that returns the initial timestamp also returns a timezone
offset.  That offset is the *current* offset from UTC.

Anyway, I don't know the "normal" way of handling these file timestamps.
I have not tested this part of the protocol (recently), but assume that
all clients simply adjust the SMB_TIME and SMB_DATE by using the
ServerTimeZone info provided in the NegProt at the start of the session.

Anyway, as you can see this is complex.  It shouldn't be, but DOS, FAT,
and SMB all have long and convoluted histories.  My guess is that
upgrading to Samba 2.2.8a will fix this.  If not, then I'll run your code
and do some captures to see what's different.

Thanks!

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org