[jcifs] Davenport Locking

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Mar 4 09:26:07 GMT 2004

 > As another example, you can also (I *think*) lock a URI that does not
 > currently
 > map to a resource (i.e., a nonexistent file which is intended to be
 > created
 > in the near future).  This would definitely need to be managed
 > "artificially" by the servlet.

This has turned out to be both problematics to implement and not really
useful, so RFC2518bis gets rid of ths requirement.

You still can LOCK a unmapped resource, but that is equivalent to
atomically PUTting then LOCKing an empty resource. If the lock goes
away, the empty resource stays.

So nothing to worry about.

Regards, Julian