[jcifs] Davenport Locking

Chris McEniry cmceniry at mit.edu
Tue Mar 2 15:48:13 GMT 2004

I've been working on getting locking working in Davenport, and I've
gotten it most of the way there for single file lock requests, but I've
run into a problem holding the lock that I'm hoping someone here may be
able to shed some light on.

Basically, my methodolgy is this:

.) Keep a servlet context level object that contain holds Locks(which
have the webdav info - token, timeout, etc - and the smb info - a
SmbFile and an SmbRandomAccessFile).  Locks are stored in a hash keyed
on the token.
.) When a LOCK request comes in, it attempts to create a SmbFile with
shareAccess = FILE_SHARE_READ, and to open a SmbRandomAccessFile, and
keeps those around.
.) When another method comes in with an "If" header, it looks up the
lock in the map and returns the SmbFile which is stored in the lock.
.) Locks are released explicitly when an UNLOCK comes in, or when the
timeout expires(there's a cleanup thread running in the background that
sweeps through the hash every 5 seconds and removes locks which have
expired).

And by watching part of it, it appears that the SmbFile is opening and
getting a lock on the SMB server(samba 3.0.2 fyi), but after about 30
seconds or a minute, the lock disappears.  Davenport is none the wiser
to this and goes along it's merry way, but I am able to open and get a
lock on the file when accessing it directly(by mapping to the samba
server from my desktop).

So, my questions are: Does jCIFS close connections on a regular basis or
am I missing something? and, when using shareAccess for locking, does
the SmbFile object hold the lock or only the real file access
objects(SmbFileRandomAccess, SmbFileInputStream, SmbFileOutputStream, etc)?

If it helps, a diff from 0.9.8 is availble at

	http://capsaicin.uchicago.edu/locking.diff

(I have other questions stemming from the rest of this - permissioning
and who to show what locks to etc -, but I'll save those for another
email...)

Thanks,
--chris