[jcifs] Access DFS root shares

mba2000 at ioplex.com mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon Jun 7 09:04:08 GMT 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:51:17 +0100
Steve Foster <s.p.foster at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

> Ok have put the props file back to something reasonable, the one
> supplied with 0.9.1.  Still no joy....

I don't recall supplying any properties file with the distribution. If
I did it was a mistake. You really shouldn't have any properties other
than perhaps jcifs.smb.client.{domain,username,password}.

> does jcifs support dfs referrals, as it doesn't to be picking up
> the fact that the AD controllers should be pointing the client to the
> correct cluster of servers. Or is my perception of what is supposed to
> be happening wrong?

I think there might be more going on here than either of us
understands. JCIFS fully supports version 1 and 3 referrals. I've
never seen version 2 referrals. Your trances show version 3
referrals. The problem is the clients go right into the referral
whereas jCIFS will not perform a referral unless it tries and fails
with NT_STATUS_PATH_NOT_COVERED to access a resource (\\<ip>\staff in
your case).

It seems the client is going through some initialization that is not
being captured or the clients have some preconfigure information regarding
AD. Something in the login script perhaps.

Whatever the case I don't think I can help as I don't have the environment
in which to reproduce, fix, and test.

Sorry :(

Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.