[jcifs] Re: SPNEGO NTLM/Kerberos

eglass1 at comcast.net eglass1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 2 09:00:06 GMT 2004

> [1] or replace the NDR code in Jarapac (which is broken) with inline stubs
> and then re-jar classes from Jarapac into the jCIFS distribution. The
> point being we don't really need much of the Jarapac code for SMB
> transport.

Yes, a good NDR marshalling library would be globally applicable; the
transport code in Jarapac is fairly decent but (as you stated) the NDR code
is abysmal.

Once the call parameters have been marshalled, packaging and delivery are
handled by the underlying layers; it should be possible to make an NDR
marshaller independent enough that the output could be employed by Jarapac
(as part of a larger DCE/RPC framework) or used in the generation of
"lightweight" stubs (i.e. minimal packaging to successfully perform the call).

I haven't done anything with Jarapac recently; once it became apparent that
the fish was bigger than my frying pan I pretty much set it aside.  I'm
hoping that interest will pick up once jCIFS starts in on this stuff.  As
it stands, Jarapac provides working implementations of the PDUs, call
fragmentation, signing/sealing, etc. so a lot of the "plumbing" is there
for the taking.

Eric