[jcifs] Re: Abstract File(File, SmbFile) and enhanced Servlet application

Eric eglass1 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 01:08:41 GMT 2004

> Ahh, ok. I thought that was Rolfs post. I'll have to look at each closely
> and compare. Would it be benifical for SmbFile to implement a "File"
> interface?

Possibly; but this would typically be done as part of a larger framework
(i.e., a provider implementing some framework's interface, using jCIFS
as the backing implementation).  Defining a "file" interface just to
have SmbFile implement it is somewhat limited in use, since java.io.File
etc. doesn't implement the interface.  If an external
application/framework already supplies such an interface for providers,
it would be typically be more appropriate to implement a wrapper for
both SmbFile and java.io.File.  This is effectively what both of the
code samples do; define an interface (or in Rolf's case, an abstract
class), then define implementations for SmbFile and java.io.File.

This is useful functionality (I've looked at doing similar extensions
for Davenport, to allow pluggable filesystem providers); it would just
typically reside in a layer "above" jCIFS.  But if others would find it
useful, I don't have any problem with it.  IMHO, an interface provides
more flexibility than an abstract class (as it doesn't take up the
single inheritance slot).  But either is okay by me, as long as it
doesn't break existing functionality (naturally).

Eric