[jcifs] jcifs-0.9.0 released / Documentation

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Jun 1 00:26:12 GMT 2004

eglass1 at comcast.net said:
>> Also note, I don't think we want to do preauth unless
>> jcifs.smb.client.password is set or we'll try to do preauth with GUEST
>> creds.
>>

> True -- I was just figuring since signing would fail without preauth
> anyways, might as well try it.

Not necessarily. I have observed that session setups are not validated so
multiple auths on the same transport work ok. The treedisconnect and
logoffandx commands generate signing errors but that not a bug deal. With
preauth you dont get any signature errors and it is equivalent to a
workstation account so I advocate that as the proper solution. But I have
seen it work without.

> Actually, if GUEST is enabled (which I know it often isn't),
> would this set up signing as well?  I can never remember if GUEST auth
> "counts" for signing, or if it's like the anonymous user (where no signing
> is done).

I know, I was drawing a blank on this as well. NULL credentials do NOT
trigger signing and that is checked in our "crazy conditional" (now in new
isSignatureSetupRequired method). But the check for GUEST is commented
out. IIRC you claimed GUEST did not trigger signing but I later observed
that that was not the case so I commented out the exclusion. I'll just
have to enable guest on a machine and test it sometime.